2014 Oscar Winner
The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved my life
Best Documenatry Short Subject
Available on Netflix
About the film
THE LADY IN NUMBER 6 is about Alice Herz Sommer, who at 109 years of age was the world's oldest pianist and oldest holocaust survivor. Up until her death at 110, Alice never tired of saying; "Music saved my life and Music saves me still"
THE LADY IN NUMBER 6 is one of the most inspirational, uplifting stories of the year. At 109 years old, Alice Herz Sommer still practiced the piano for two and a half hours each day. She remained fiercely independent and attributed her long life, less to "good genes" than to "good music". A relentlessly positive and optimistic outlook plus her deeply held belief in the essential goodness of her fellow man kept Alice Herz Sommer alive for over a century. Not only was she the oldest living person in London, England, but she was the oldest survivor of Hitler's Holocaust. It has often been said that fear and hatred eat the soul – but conversely might it also be argued that love – of life, of those around us – and in Alice's case – of music, can nourish the soul and liberate the spirit? To the end day Alice never tired of saying; "Music saved my life and Music saves me still" (Alice Herz Sommer November 26, 1903 – February 23, 2014).
2014 OSCAR WINNER - Best Documentary Short Subject
Director Malcolm Clarke dedicated the award to Herz-Sommer's memory and the power of her spirit that will serve as inspiration for a long, long time.
Official Web Site: The Lady In Number 6: Music Saved My Life
- DIRECTED BY: Malcolm Clarke
- PRODUCERS: Nick Reed / Malcolm Clarke / Christopher Branch
- EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: Frederic Bohbot / Larry Abramson / Philip B Goldfine / Timothy Marlowe / Augustin
- WRITTEN BY: Malcolm Clarke / Carl Freed
- EDITOR: Carl Freed
- COMPOSER: Luc St-Pierre
- DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY: Kieran Crilly
- DISTRIBUTED BY: Bunbury Films & Reed Entertainment
- Produced in association with: Reed Entertainment and Media Vérité
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- 2014 - Oscar Winner - Best Documentary Short Subject - 86th Academy Awards
- 2013 - Winner of an Award of Excellence in Jewish Film Category for the Accolade Competition.
- GENRE: Documentary
- CATEGORY: Society, Biographical
- LANGUAGE: English
- DURATION: 38:00 minutes
- DELIVERY FORMAT: HD (High-Definition)
- BROADCAST : Available immediately
- Contact us to learn more about licensing this film »
PRESSE & MEDIA: Contact us to receive media information about our films.